Wednesday, March 14, 2007

Twenty five

Today I learned about clumsiness. I was wondering (FOR NO PARTICULAR REASON) what, physiologically speaking, makes a person be clumsy, and so naturally I looked up "clumsiness" on Wikipedia. This sends you to articles on dyspraxia and motor skills disorder. Basically, clumsiness is rooted in disrupted neurological connections in the brain and/or problems with the inner ear. Clumsy people have trouble planning out the sequence of movements they will need to carry out OR actually carrying out those movements after they've been planned. You can have problems with speech, fine motor control, and/or whole body coordination.

Dyspraxia often comes along with some other symptoms or disorders. Dyspraxic people often have an increased or skewed tactile sense which makes them more likely to be bothered by, for example, uncomfortable clothing. There also tends to be overlap with dyslexia, ADHD, and autism spectrum disorders. I would have liked to use the word "comorbidity" in there somewhere just because I used to really like it back in my Psych days.

Obviously there are other muscular/motor/CNS type disorders that would result in clumsiness--ie, you drop things a lot because your muscles have been weakened from MS. That's sort of secondary rather than primary clumsiness though, I think.

I didn't come across anything personally enlightening. Those motor disorders don't apply to me, I don't think. I walked early, talked early, didn't have any physical problems at all, really. I have just turned into a spaz somewhere along the way. I'm probably not careful enough. Somebody get me a bubble!

No comments: