Wednesday, April 4, 2007

Forty six

Ok, so: uptown vs downtown (let's leave midtown out of this--it is, I think, only a NY thing anyway). There doesn't seem to be like a definitive, absolute definition for these terms. In one case, they can just be referring to north and south; they can even be relative, ie, if you're going to a restaurant south of where you live, you'd say "let's go downtown," but if you were at your office south of the same restaurant, you'd say "we need to head uptown."

Another explanation according to Wiktionary and Google's definitions is that downtown is the commercial center or "central business district," while uptown is the residential area away from the business center. According to that reasoning, something like Westerville's "uptown" is really a misnomer. I think that people have just taken to sticking the "uptown" title on downtown areas because it sounds more welcoming and less urban and intimidating.

So that's that. I'm kind of sleepy so I maybe didn't look into it as much as I should. Let me know if you have anything to add.

No comments: