Friday, September 7, 2007

202

Ok, first of all, do not read this and PLEASE do not click on the links if you are squeamish/super sensitive about tiny baby animals. I have a decent tolerance for hearing about gross things but this one almost puts me over the edge.

Today I learned about balut, which is a Vietnamese delicacy. Balut is a fertilized duck egg where you take the egg, boil it with the baby duck growing inside of it, and then eat the egg and the dead baby duck--beak, bones, tiny feathers and all. It looks like some weird, veiny testicle/eyeball/fetus blob. People might have heard of this because I guess they ate it on Survivor and Fear Factor (I could never watch Fear Factor b/c I was afraid the people would vomit), but I saw it on a travel show or something a year or two ago. For some reason it came up earlier today (why?) and I re-looked it up. This really grosses me out. I know there's nothing wrong with it and eggs and meat in general is all just as gross, but for some reason balut is too much for me. You can read about eating one here.

No comments: