Sunday, November 11, 2007

265, 266, 267

Friday I learned that Jason Collett will be opening up for the Feist concert in the 18th. I got his album off iTunes but I haven't really had a chance to listen to it yet. Hopefully I can do that tomorrow while I'm working.

Saturday I learned how house numbers are assigned. Like, when you're driving down the road it's not usually like 265 Elm Street, 267, 269, etc. They tend to jump around more. Well, the answer is not super simple and it actually depends on where you live. In some places there is an assigned center of the city or county or whatever and the house number has to do with the distance from that center. Some places, a stretch of road is assigned a number (say 5000) and then house numbers are assigned for their distance along that road (so 5015 and 5045 are closer together than the next neighbor, 5095). Sometimes builders might skip numbers on larger pieces of land in case it gets divided up later. It really varies.

Today I learned about Mormon missionaries. I see them at work kind of regularly and we actually have 2 who volunteer there. This is, like, serious business. They have a schedule that they follow six days a week, specific clothes and nametags to wear, etc. A lot of them have to learn a new language in 2-3 months. They have another missionary who is their companion, and they are never supposed to be apart from their companion throughout the day except for bathroom time. They can write to their parents weekly, but can generally only call home on Christmas and Mother's Day; these missions usually last 18 months to 2 years, and these are college-aged kids. Man alive. I literally could not do something like that without complaining nonstop from start to finish. But, that's because I'm a bad person and I'm going to hell, which should not be surprising to anyone.

No comments: