Wednesday, February 21, 2007

Four

Today I went to my parents' house to do laundry, and my mom had cut an article out of the paper for me. It's about a guy in Mexico who found a frog in a mine. Why so special? The frog, less than half an inch long, was covered in amber and is estimated to be 25 million years old. 25 MILLION YEARS OLD. This is the first frog of its kind (genus: Craugastor) found in Mexico. One biologist wants to try to take DNA from the frog so he can see what species it is, but a.) it is apparently very very unlikely to get DNA from something that old, and b.) also it's not likely that the guy who found it will let anybody drill into it since it's so rare.

I kept thinking that this was exactly how Jurassic Park happened, but not quite. In that movie it was a mosquito in the amber with dino blood inside...the frog came into play when they needed something to fill the holes in the dino DNA. I think. It's been a while. In any case, it doesn't sound like we need to be worried about Mexican Frogosaurs taking over the continent any time soon.

OR DO WE?

No, we don't.

No comments: