Thursday, April 12, 2007

Fifty two, Fifty three, Fifty four

I suck, I suck.

Tuesday I learned about the appendix, because I always think that I am dying of appendicitis. It's on the right side, by the way. I can never remember. Anyway, some people actually think the appendix might have a function. It has lots of lymph cells in it, so it might play some part in the immune system (although that doesn't seem likely because people who've had them removed/are born without them don't seem to have weaker immune systems). One guy thinks it may play a part in developing fetuses (feti?). Most people think it's leftover from when we were herbivores; it produced the bacteria needed to digest cellulose in all those veggies. Now it's shriveled up and does nothing other than occasionally kill people. Thanks a lot, evolution.

Yesterday I learned that American Gladiators airs on ESPN Classic weeknights at 7. Score!

Today is for mood rings. I'm totally copying this straight from howstuffworks.com because I am a lazy motherfucker, and plus they can say it better than I can anyway. So: " The stone in a mood ring is either a hollow glass shell filled with thermotropic liquid crystals or a clear glass stone sitting on top of a thin sheet of liquid crystals. These liquid crystal molecules are very sensitive; they change position, or twist, according to changes in temperature. This change in molecular structure affects the wavelengths of light that are absorbed or reflected by the liquid crystals, resulting in an apparent change in the color of the stone."

Awesome! I am wearing a mood ring today. My mom bought it for me in Arizona...she came back with all this authentic Native American type stuff, plus a mood ring. I dunno.

No comments: