Monday, May 14, 2007

Eighty four, Eighty five, Eighty six

Saturday I learned that, um, you do have to fill out a security report if you happen to see someone's boob at the library.

Sunday I learned about the word "picnic." There was an urban legend going around that "picnic" was a horrible word because it originated in the practice of people sitting outside and eating lunch while watching a random black person be lynched (you can use your imagination to make the connection between that activity and the word). Of course, this is completely untrue. It actually comes from the French "piquenique," "pique" meaning to pick or peck and "nique" probably just added because it rhymed.

Today I learned about the website Goodreads, because Mary added me as a friend. I haven't totally looked around the site yet, but it seems cool. I actually was wondering a while ago if something like this existed, and then thinking that I would become a multi-billionaire by creating it myself. Frick! Beaten to the punch.

No comments: