Thursday, October 4, 2007

229

Today, in true Wikipedia fashion, I started out looking up Korean funeral rituals and ended up learning about the term "going Dutch." I'll not try and recreate that line of thinking lest we all go a little crazy. The term originates from the Dutch custom of paying your own way on a date or outing, but it also came about due to some negative stereotypes about Dutch people being stingy or selfish.

Some other countries refer to going Dutch as "paying Roman style" or "American style." I guess Romans and Americans are also cheap bastards.

There is some interesting info on the Wikipedia page re: the etiquette of going Dutch vs the man paying for a date. Apparently there are some restaurants that have a "ladies' menu" that doesn't have prices on it, so not only does the lady not pay, she doesn't even see how much the meal cost. That is crazy! I wonder if the menu also has pictures instead of words so as not to strain the lady's brain with reading. I mean, I'm all for a free meal, don't get me wrong, but I do think the fairer sex can handle seeing how much our salad (dressing on the side) and cosmo is supposed to cost.

No comments: